Saturday, August 13, 2011

To sit at the feet of Jesus


Believe it or not, this little collection of Duplos and blocks and construction paper is a profound commentary on the Christian Education learning model...
I HAVE NOT BEEN A VERY ACTIVE PREACHER’S HUSBAND THIS SUMMER. Not, that is, other than my core value of being there 100% for Rebekah and doing everything in my power to provide her with a solid home base to operate from.
My inactivity has been as regards church in general. I’ve been showing up, but I’ve allowed other people to teach Sunday school, I’ve put The Men’s Room on ice, and I’ve limited my Sunday evening small group to just a few fellowship activities.
To be honest, I think it’s been good, both for me and the church too.
MY EXCUSE (IF I NEEDED ONE!) has been the new book I’ve been writing. Today I pretty-much competed the project – which is just as well as my deadline to get it into my publisher is Monday (Aug 15). I have some detail work to do before the final proofing and printing of a hard-copy (one chapter at a time) all day Monday.
OPEN TO LEARN: But I have been showing up for church activities, and that is very important. This morning I attended a teacher/leader training event put on by pastor Tim Black. It was a workshop designed to hone some of our skills, expose us to new information and get us geared up for the new church education year.
I have to admit, I didn’t want to go! I didn’t want to break away from my work on the book, I didn’t want to be reminded that there are other things going on in the world besides what I’ve got going on. And I didn’t want to be learning anything at all, sitting in class. And I especially didn’t want to be made to participate in any interactive group-learning scenarios…:-)
  • BUT I DID SHOW UP – BECAUSE THAT’S WHAT YOU DO.
  • AND I SPREAD SOME CREAM CHEESE ON A BAGEL – BECAUSE THEY WERE THERE.
  • AND I MADE SOME COFFEE – BECAUSE, DUH!
  • AND I PARTICIPATED – BECAUSE I’M THE PREACHER’S HUSBAND!
AND, OF COURSE, I HAD A GOOD MORNING. I had a good morning because I was in fellowship with some really cool people who love Jesus, and who are committed to be leaders in education at our church. And I had a good morning because it wasn’t about me, it was about what I need to learn. And I had a good morning because, when two-or-more show up to do something in the context of mutual faith, well, God shows up too.
Our guest speaker – Beth House – did make us to an interactive project, but it was excellent because it demonstrated how important it is that we pay close attention to what it going on when we’re leaders in the faith community. It’s always about who we’re not reaching as much as it is who is in class every week.
That insight alone was worth showing up for.
Bottom line – The Preacher’s Husband needs to blend in with the crowd sometimes, sit at the feet of Jesus, and be willing to be taught… and to learn… and to serve in new and creative ways.
PEACE – DEREK

No comments:

Post a Comment